Here at Smile Care, we strive to provide you with the highest level of care utilizing the latest technology. We have found that technology is a powerful tool to not only diagnose dental disease but also to help prevent potential problems from developing, which is why we use digital x-rays, also known as digital radiography, instead of traditional x-rays.
Why an X-Ray?
X-rays are excellent diagnostic tools which help us evaluate:
- If there are any cavities.
- The development or change of your teeth and bone.
- Your gum tissue health.
How often will I need an X-Ray?
The frequency of an x-ray depends on many factors, including your age, the health of your mouth, and whether you are a new or existing patient.
What are Digital X-Rays?
Digital x-rays, or digital imaging, are pictures that are sent electronically to a screen. The benefits of digital imaging over traditional x-rays are endless, but here are a few:
- They save us, and you, time. We can see the image instantly and show you the results.
- They are safer. It’s proven they cut the radiation percentage dramatically, making all of us feel better. However, we still use a leaded apron for added protection.
- They help us pinpoint small changes. We use software that can overlap an old x-ray and a current x-ray, easily helping us identify any potential problems or changes in your teeth, bone structure, and tissue.
Panoramic x-rays are digital x-rays that show a wider view of your jaw (and its joints), teeth, and sinus and nasal areas. In addition to the regular digital x-rays, we employ our panoramic x-ray technology to help us identify areas of concern other than decay.