One of the foundational pieces of our preventive philosophy is the twice-yearly hygiene appointment we recommend to each of our patients. Think of these as you would any other type of maintenance appointment, whether it be getting the oil changed in your car, getting your haircut, or going in for your yearly physical with your medical doctor. Every visit is designed with your best interest at mind, because regular visits prevent problems from occurring by helping us gauge the present state of your oral health.
At your scheduled appointment time, one of our hygienists will greet you in the waiting room and give you a short tour of our office. Then, they will escort you to their treatment room, where the following will take place:
- They will discuss your medical history, any concerns you have, and discuss any mouth appliances you use.
- Photos of your mouth and smile will be taken using a specialized camera for our records.
- Our intra-oral camera will be used to take detailed photos of your teeth and gums. This helps us educate you on the current state of your mouth.
- Digital X-Rays will be taken, which are used as a diagnostic tool to see the health of your mouth.
- An oral cancer screening exam will be given, as our hygienists are trained to detect any abnormalities in your neck, jaw and mouth tissues.
- An assessment of the health of your gums will be taken using specialized instruments that measure each pocket, or area between your gum and teeth. This helps us determine the overall health of your mouth and provide you with instructions as to how to best care for your teeth with brushing, flossing and healthy eating and drinking habits.
- Your teeth will be cleaned, which includes removal of any plaque, flossing, and polishing using special instruments.
- A fluoride treatment may or may not be recommended to strengthen your enamel and protect your teeth until your next visit.
- Dr. Paul will introduce himself and welcome you to our office. After your conversation, he and the hygienist will assess your x-rays and provide any recommendations to improve your oral health and smile. If further treatment is needed, he will explain that and answer any questions you have.
- Once your oral health plan is established, your hygienist will help you schedule your next cleaning appointment, which is generally recommended every six months. They will also help you schedule any other appointments recommended by Dr. Paul.
- To aid in establishing healthy oral health habits, we will provide you with a new toothbrush, floss, toothpaste, and a travel-sized chapstick if you’d like!
Every hygiene appointment can be a relaxing and fearless one, as we make every effort to ensure you are comfortable and your questions are answered.