Dr. Paul’s Biography:
Dr. Paul grew up in Davenport, North Dakota, which is a small town about 20 miles southwest of Fargo, and graduated as class valedictorian from Davenport High School in 1967. He then pursued a degree at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, and was accepted into dental school at the University of Minnesota after three years of study. In 1974, he graduated from dental school a semester early and accepted a position to teach at the University of Minnesota. After a year, he moved back to Fargo and worked as an associate dentist with Dr. Bergstrom, a skilled and progressive dentist who mentored him. Four years later, in 1979, he envisioned and started what is now known as Smile Care. Family and the Fargo/Moorhead community are two things he is passionate about. His wife, Chris, works as a consultant for Smile Care and can also be found serving as a parish nurse through their local church. He also has two grown daughters, both who are married with children. When he is not spending time with them or his mother, Esther, he can be found reading dental magazines, on his i-Phone or Facebook, boating, or serving at his local church.
When choosing a dentist, we know what is important to you:
1. You want a pain-free experience with a dentist who is kind, gentle, and who cares about your comfort. Many people have anxiety about their dental visits for a variety of reasons, which is why Dr. Paul will do whatever he can to help you feel comfortable. During procedures, he moves gently and slowly, as he has honed his craft throughout the years and has learned how to conduct pain-free procedures.
2. You want a dentist you can trust. Dr. Paul’s core values are based on honesty and transparency, so his goal is not to recommend care you don’t need to increase his profit. He wants you to have a healthy and functional smile, and will do whatever he can to help you achieve that with his recommendations. Your financial situation is always a concern of his, so he works with you to come up with a reasonable plan of care.
3. You want a dentist who listens to you and encourages you without judgment. Dr. Paul will encourage you to practice good oral health habits, and will help you develop a plan to help your mouth become healthier. He does not, however, judge you for what you have or have not done in the past. Whether you had seen a dentist since the age of three, it’s been a couple years, or even ten years since your last visit, you will be treated with respect and dignity. Please feel free to ask questions and express concerns as those truly matter to him and our team.
4. You want a dentist who is experienced and skilled, who stays current with the latest technology and gives you state-of-the-art care. Dr. Paul has been practicing dentistry for over 30 years, yet has successfully stayed current with the trends by implementing the latest technology to provide the highest level of care. His passion is reading and studying dentistry everyday, he is active in many dental study groups, and he takes yearly continuing education courses where he has studied under the most progressive teachers in the field. His passion for learning coupled with his skill and experience makes him an excellent dentist.
5. You want a dentist who treats you like he would a family member. Dr. Paul lives by the Golden Rule, and will give you the same level of care he would expect someone to give him. Don’t be surprised when you receive a personal call from him to see how you are feeling after a procedure. He really cares for and values you.
Here is the bottom line. Our patients, friends, business associates, and colleagues say Dr. Paul is one of a kind. We think so too.