We love our littlest patients, period. They bring a smile to our face and joy to our office. Establishing good oral hygiene habits begins at a young age, and continues throughout a lifetime. We are happy to provide care for your children during this pivotal time.
Smile Care vs. a Pediatric Dentist
Why see us versus a pediatric dentist, you may wonder? There are many benefits, including:
- Your child can begin a relationship with us that lasts throughout adulthood, allowing for quality continuity of care.
- As a parent, your life is busy. Why not simplify things by making dental appointments for the whole family at the same time? There is no need to run around to multiple dental offices.
- We can teach you how to help your child practice good hygiene. It’s important for parents to be on board and be educated about their child’s oral health, as it’s part of our preventive dentistry philosophy. Many pediatric dentists recommend a child be seen for that first appointment at any early age in order to properly educate the parents.
- Our team is highly trained and experienced in caring for children, just as a pediatric dental office team would be.
We recommend that you bring your child in with you for your dental appointments to help familiarize them with our office and team. It is also an opportunity to ask questions and have the hygienist peek in their mouths.
First Dental Visit
Your child’s first dental visit should occur between the ages of 2-3. Our goal for him or her is to have a positive first visit, even if we are not able to accomplish a full cleaning. Many children who see us walk away wanting to become a dentist or hygienist! We try to make the experience fun:
- They will get to take a ride on the hygiene chair.
- Our hygienist will count their teeth with their assistance.
- They will meet “Mr. Thirsty”, the suction tip.
- Their teeth will get a shower with the air and water sprays.
- They will get to pick out a prize from the prize box!
At this appointment, there is parent education and some or all of the following may occur:
- A cleaning.
- Polishing of the teeth.
- Flossing of the teeth.
- Assessment for any cavities or abnormalities of the gums, teeth and mouth.
- Digital X-Rays.
- A fluoride treatment to strengthen the teeth and help prevent decay.
- Discussion on proper oral hygiene.
It’s our goal to make your child’s first appointment a positive experience, setting the stage for years to come. We look forward to meeting your little one soon!