Many people are afraid to see a dentist. For some, it is because of a bad or painful past experience, or just a fear of the unknown. Please be reassured that we get that! We understand that no one signs up for pain or an unpleasant experience, and that we are very conscious of your comfort before, during, and after any procedures that you may have in our office.
Dr. Paul’s 30 plus years of experience in the field of dentistry, coupled with the use of technology, have allowed him to refine his techniques to ensure a pain-free experience. Here are some of the methods we employ to minimize your discomfort and maximize your relaxation:
- We ask you about your concerns prior to any procedures taking place. Talking things out helps to ease fears and instill confidence in our abilities to provide you with a comfortable experience. Please ask any and all questions you may have.
- A warm blanket and headphones to listen to the radio or a movie can help to take your mind off things and help you relax.
- Nitrous Oxide is available to help your body relax. It has no color, is not irritating, and can be scented or scent-free. We simply put a mask over your nose and have you inhale the gas, decreasing your awareness and pain in a safe and monitored environment.
- A prescribed relaxant tablet prior to your appointment is an option if you are experiencing high anxiety.
- If an area of your mouth must be numbed, we do two things. Dr. Paul will first place a numbing agent on the surface of your gum. He then will use The Wand (a.k.a. CompuDent), a computer controlled anesthetic delivery device. There is a common misconception that a needle injection stings and causes pain because of the needle itself. However, the truth is that the pain is caused by the anesthetic being delivered into the tissue too quickly. The Wand allows for the delivery to be controlled and extremely comfortable. Also know that his technique is extremely gentle, and he moves very slowly to ensure your comfort when performing any procedure. He really cares!
- After an appointment with Dr. Paul, he or a team member are well known for calling his patients personally to see how they are doing and to ensure their comfort.
Don’t let your fears or anxiety hinder you from achieving optimal oral health! You can have that brilliant smile without pain or discomfort. In fact, you can enjoy visiting the dentist again. Guaranteed.